Links Employment Issues

Here you will find short descriptions and links to a variety of online resources related to social care, including training, employment, general background links and local authority websites.

Click a section in the navigation bar above or on the links below.

-Employment Issues
-Local Councils

Please note:
The Department of Health is not responsible for the contents or reliability of the linked websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within them. Listing shall not be taken as endorsement of any kind. We cannot guarantee that these links will be active as we have no control over availability of linked pages.

Employment Issues

European Employment Services (EURES)

-European Employment Services
European Employment Services (EURES) aims to facilitate the free movement of workers within the European Economic Area (EEA) (the 27 members of the European Union, plus Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland) and Switzerland. Its objectives are to:

  • Inform, counsel and provide advice to potentially mobile workers on job opportunities and living and working conditions in the European Economic Area.
  • Assist employers working to recruit workers from other countries Provide particular advice and guidance to workers and employers in Crossborder regions.

Unison is the largest trade union in the UK, representing 1.3 million people working in a range of organisations including local government, the health service, education, the utilities and private companies. It is thus the union for both social workers and social care workers. Its website contains details of union activities, how to join and how Unison can help you.

Local Government Employers


Local Government Employers (LGE) is the national centre of excellence for local authorities on pay, pensions and employment strategy. LGE works with local authorities, regional employers and other bodies to lead and create solutions on pay, pensions and the employment contract, to ensure the provision of excellent and affordable local services.

The Improvement and Development Agency (IDeA)

The Improvement and Development Agency (IDeA) works in partnership with all councils to enhance their performance and develop the local government sector as a whole.

Border and Immigration Agency


Anyone from outside the EU wanting to work in the UK will need to obtain a work permit.