Links Training

Here you will find short descriptions and links to a variety of online resources related to social care, including training, employment, general background links and local authority websites.

Click a section in the navigation bar above or on the links below.

-Employment Issues
-Local Councils

Please note:
The Department of Health is not responsible for the contents or reliability of the linked websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within them. Listing shall not be taken as endorsement of any kind. We cannot guarantee that these links will be active as we have no control over availability of linked pages.


General Social Care Council.
The General Social Care Council is the social care workforce regulator. and guardian of standards for the social care workforce in England. They also provide information for social workers coming from overseas and offer a verification service which looks at the qualifications of people wishing to practice in the England.

Skills for Care
Skills for Care works closely with and on behalf of social care employers to enhance the quality of staff and services in social care. The website contains information on the training strategy and the Common Induction Standards (CIS) for all staff which Skills for Care has developed.  The CIS provide a structured start for new care staff.

The Care Ambassador Scheme is a Skills for Care initiative. For more information visit

University and Colleges Admissions Service
Applications for degree courses are made through UCAS ( Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) The UCAS website contains lists of all the courses offered in any Further or Higher Education establishment in the UK, including social work, and you can search by type of course, region or by individual university.

Social Work Student Site
Information for student social workers or qualified social workers seeking job opportunities.

Voluntary Sector Studies
If you are a volunteer or paid employee working in a caring environment in the voluntary sector, visit this website for information on a variety of educational courses that give you the flexibility to study in your own home and at your own pace.

Working for a Charity
Working For A Charity exists to promote the voluntary sector as a positive career option for those seeking paid employment and to promote the opportunities and benefits of becoming a volunteer to people who wish to do unpaid work.

NHS Business Services Authority

The NHSBSA was established in 2006 to undertake a range of administration services for the NHS and social care bodies, including the NHS bursary scheme. In April 2007, the administration of the social work bursary scheme transferred from the General Social Care Council to the NHS Business Services Authority where it runs alongside the NHS bursary scheme.

Children's Workforce Development Council (CWDC)

CWDC is one of five bodies forming the UK Skills For Care and Development Sector Skills Council and coordinates the Children's Workforce Network. It aims to improve the lives of children and young people. It does this by ensuring that the people working with children have the best possible training, qualifications, support and advice. It will also help children and young people's organisations and services to work together so that the child is at the centre of all services.


Ofsted - the Office for Standards in Education  is the inspectorate for children and learners in England. From April 2007 Ofsted’s remit has expanded to include the children’s services work of the Commission for Social Care Inspection (CSCI), together with the Children and Families Court Advisory and Support Service (CAFCASS) inspection remit of Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Court Administration (HMICA) and the inspection work of the Adult Learning Inspectorate (ALI). The organisation’s full title has changed to The Office for Standards in Education, Children Services and Skills but it will continue to be known as Ofsted.

National Extension College


The National Extension College provides flexible learning materials, which can be used by colleges, independent trainers and employers in care homes, large care groups, hospitals and local authorities to support care training.

Information on social work training and regulation in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales

For Northern Ireland click on:
For Scotland click on:
For Wales click on: